On behalf of the American people, I congratulate the people of Libya on today’s historic declaration of liberation.
After four decades of brutal dictatorship and eight months of deadly conflict, the Libyan people can now celebrate their freedom and the beginning of a new era of promise.
Now that the fighting in Libya has reached an end, the Transitional National Council (TNC) must turn its attention to the political transition ahead.
The Libyan authorities should also continue living up to their commitments to respect human rights, begin a national reconciliation process, secure weapons and dangerous materials, and bring together armed groups under a unified civilian leadership.
- Gaddafi unburied as Libya declares „liberation“ – Reuters (news.google.com)
- „A new era of promise“: President Obama on the Declaration of Liberation in Libya (whitehouse.gov)
- ‚Declaration of liberation‘ – Obama congratulates Libyan people (politico.com)
- Gaddafi unburied as Libya declares „liberation“ (moroccotomorrow.org)
- Libya’s interim leaders set to declare liberation (cnn.com)